ReadingBifrost

ReadingBifrost

Extension of my book blog, ReadingBifrost

Every Breath

Every Breath - Ellie Marney www.readingbifrost.com

“I’m only a genius with facts. I’m an academic genius and a social moron.”
“At least you admit to being a moron at something.”
“I admit to being a moron at lots of things. Being a moron in one or two areas serves to highlight my extraordinary brilliance in everything else.”

James Mycroft likes to refer to himself and Rachel Watts as Mycroft and Watts, because like every Sherlock needs a Watson, every Mycroft needs a Watts. He’s an eccentric teenage genius with a tragic past that he can’t forget.

Rachel is a country girl whose family moved to the big city of Melbourne against her will. She teasingly calls Mycroft the smarter Holmes brother and is constantly pressured by teachers and friends to keep him under control.

The interactions between the two main characters are amazing. While one tries to deny the attraction the other completely uses it as a science experiment. Most of all- they were still teens! Many YA-books try to put teenagers in stories where suddenly all the normal teenage problems go away, but in Every Breath Watts and Mycroft still have to deal with the same situations as normal teens (plus a little extra).

On to the plot! Mycroft naturally has his very own homeless-network, and when one his closest homeless friends turns up dead he and Watts know that the police will do little to nothing to catch the murderer. There’s a detail that Mycroft points out at one point in the investigation that later proves vital to the mystery; which is also a big part of what really brings out his character. It’s a typical “Who-How-Why” problem to solve like most mysteries, with characters trying to pull you into the wrong directions and other just being distractions.

Overall, I would recommend Every Breath to anyone who is looking for a light mystery and romance novel. There’s also a sequel out in Australia (and another on the way) so maybe it’ll make it to your country soon as well (not in the US yet).