ReadingBifrost

ReadingBifrost

Extension of my book blog, ReadingBifrost

The Warrior

The Warrior - Ty Patterson Review:
****
www.readingbifrost.com

Ty Patterson’s The Warrior takes the reader deep into the Congo where only ex-Special Forces operative Major Zebadiah Carter can hear the screams of women and girls being raped and tortured by ex-soldiers. Told to stand down and forget what he had seen, Zeb hunts them from the jungles of the Congo to the jungles of New York to enact his version of justice. Dirty politicians, terrorist-scared FBI agents, child laborers, and ex-soldiers fighting on both sides of a crooked line create a story of nefarious actions and human compassion.

Broker looks at Zeb, ‘How about a fancy, motivating speech?’ Zeb grunts and moves past him. ‘That’ll do,’ says Broker. ‘For a moment I thought you would bring me to tears.’

In The Warrior, Major Zebadiah Carter becomes my favorite type of protagonist; a vigilante. More than once in the book Zeb is compared to Batman, but a more appropriate comparison would be The Punisher (US military, martial arts, master with weapons). Zeb seems cold and hard, but as the story unfolds Patterson lets pieces of what the real Zeb looks like show through his hard exterior and the reader gets a very small glimpse of what he might have been if his character was less war-torn.

The supporting protagonists brought with them their own special skill sets, the main one being Broker, an information and tech specialist. Broker is the opposite of Zeb. Where Zeb keeps to himself and speaks only when he must, Broker is a magnet that attracts all attention in the room with his looks, carefree attitude, and ability to hold good conversations. He uses this to his advantage when fishing for information or playing a room. Add Zeb and Broker’s other buddies and I was constantly reminded of Henry V’s St Crispin’s Day Speech speaking of the band of brothers.

The beginning and end of the book had a steady, fast paced flow; but the middle section seemed a bit unsteady and slow at times. I also had a bit of a problem with the neatly printed paragraph backstories of each of the minor characters. It’s not a major problem, but it’s one of those situations where I’d rather be shown instead of told, especially with the lively characters Patterson developed for the book.

Mystery, suspense, crime, action, family: I think there might be a little bit of everything for everyone stuffed in the pages (e-pages?) of this book. It’s a short book that’s quick to read, but really packs a punch on several levels.